Personal Injury Lawyer in San Antonio
As the daughter of renowned trial attorneys Marynell Maloney and Michael Maloney, and granddaughter of celebrated trial attorney, Pat Maloney, Sr., there is a longstanding joke that Erica has been programmed since birth to be a trial lawyer. In college, Erica majored in both philosophy and art history, earning her Bachelor's degree in 2007 from Bowdoin College in Brunswick, Maine. Upon graduating from college, Erica decided to follow the family tradition and apply to law school. Erica received a full scholarship to the University of California, Irvine Law School – a school which, the year of her application, accepted only 4 percent of its applicants, the lowest acceptance rate of any law school in the country.
In 2012, Erica returned to her hometown of San Antonio to practice law. Erica has passionately advocated for the victims of medical malpractice. As the mother of three children, Erica has focused particular attention on advocating for infants who have suffered catastrophic birth injuries. She has handled multiple cases involving infants who have suffered hypoxia ischemic encephalopathy as a result of negligence during the labor and delivery process. Erica has also handled multiple cases involving women and infants who have died as a result of childbirth and understands the trauma and emotions involved in these types of cases.
While negligence that occurs in hospital emergency departments in Texas are cases that are notoriously difficult to pursue as emergency department cases require a higher burden of proof than other medical malpractice cases, Erica has handled multiple high damage emergency department cases to a successful resolution.
Erica believes in taking cases that she feels passionately about and that can invoke systemic change. She enjoys the close bond she develops with clients and using litigation to improve the quality of healthcare. In addition to medical practice cases, Erica also handles cases involving victims who have been seriously injured by defective products and in commercial vehicle accidents.
Erica is on the Board of Directors of the Texas Trial Lawyers Association and a member of the San Antonio Trial Lawyers Association and the William S. Sessions American Inn of Court. She was selected as a 2021 Texas Super Lawyers rising star and named as a top personal injury lawyer by Scene in San Antonio in 2020 and 2021. Erica is also a member of both the Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum and the Million Dollar Advocates Forum.
- $7,000,000 – Birth injury involving hypoxic-ischemic encephalopathy
- $5,750,000 – Birth injury involving hypoxic-ischemic encephalopathy
- $1,820,000 - Failure to diagnose ruptured brain aneurysm in the Emergency Department
- $1,370,000 – Failure to timely treat a necrotizing infection resulting in death
- $1,216,322 – Delay in providing neurosurgical services resulting in serious injury
- $1,075,000 – Birth injury involving shoulder dystocia
- $950,000 – Failure to diagnose and treat myocarditis resulting in death
- $850,000 – Failure to monitor a patient on suicide watch resulting in death
- $750,000 – Emergency Department medication error resulting in death
See More Case Results
- University of California Irvine School of Law, Irvine, California - 2012
- Bowdoin College - 2007
Honors & Awards
- Texas Super Lawyers Rising Star, 2021
- Top Personal Injury Lawyer in San Antonio, S.A. Scene Magazine, 2020 and 2021
- Member of the Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum
- Member of the Million Dollar Advocates Forum
If you have a question about injuries sustained as a result of medical malpractice, defective products, or nursing home abuse, Erica is happy to speak with you. Call Maloney Law Group, P.L.L.C. at (210) 361-2997.