San Antonio Medical Malpractice & Personal Injury Lawyers
young boy with cerebral palsy

What Are the Four Types of Cerebral Palsy?

Cerebral palsy is one of the more common birth injuries that babies may experience. However, it’s vital to know how the different cerebral palsy types impact your child and the long-term effects. Unfortunately, many cases that lead to cerebral palsy occur because of negligence, and you need to recognize your rights if it happens.

There are four main types of CP your child may experience, and we’ll explain them below.

Spastic Cerebral Palsy

The most common type of cerebral palsy that babies endure is spastic CP. This condition makes up between 70 and 80 percent of all cases of CP. Typically, when someone suffers spastic cerebral palsy, they experience stiffness in just one part of their body, awkward reflexes, and tightened muscles.

Athetoid Cerebral Palsy

This type of cerebral palsy occurs in about 10 percent of cases. The symptoms include limbs that are either stiff or floppy, feeding problems, posture issues, and more. Athetoid cerebral palsy results from damage to the cerebellum and/or the basal ganglia, which controls eye movement and motor function.

Ataxic Cerebral Palsy

A baby who experiences ataxic cerebral palsy can endure speaking issues, tremors, and depth perception problems. Ataxic CP can also occur because of damage to the cerebellum, which controls your balance and coordination abilities. Reduced muscle tone is common in people with ataxic cerebral palsy.

Mixed Cerebral Palsy

In some situations, the damage your baby sustains may be severe enough and in different locations, causing more than one type of cerebral palsy. The most commonly mixed CP is spastic and athetoid cerebral palsy.

At Maloney Law Group, P.L.L.C., we work hard to help families in some of the most difficult situations. Our San Antonio birth injury lawyers go above and beyond to obtain the compensation and justice your family deserves. Our team doesn’t back down, and we hold negligence accountable.

Discuss your case in a consultation. Call our firm today at (210) 361-2997.